Sunday, May 2, 2010

Tri we did!

Ok, so not my best picture ever...to say the least. But here you can see how swollen, red, and down right miserable my eyes are. Come to find out, it's a sinus infection. That was amplified when I went into Lake Woodlands last Saturday. The pressure behind my cheekbones and forehead is uncomfortable but tolerable. So with that, I decided to go for it. Not really the best idea since getting back into the water made my eyes flare again...oh well. The CB&I comes only once a year. :) So a pasta dinner and a long wakeful night, and we were up at 4:15 am. Once again, we get there and it's crazy to see just how serious some of these people are. But we are not here for time (if you are, you can never be satisfied-cause if you are not out to beat someone, you are out to beat your PR-personal record) because I am not up for that kind of pressure. The swim was interesting. I got my face in this year (meaning I free styled with my head in-last year I free styled with my head out). But got attacked in the water. A girl and I were bumping sides and whacking each other in the head with our strokes, when all of a sudden this girl grabbed my shoulder and shoved me backwards. After gulping down half of Lake Woodlands I came to the surface in a dog paddle and screamed 'what the...' and looked her face to face. Oops...I know HER! I let her pass. :) The bike went ok. Except during the ride my toes on one foot kept going numb and tingling. Almost to the point I was worried--thinking what is wrong with my circulation. But dismissed it. I started running the last leg with Sarah. I kept telling her...it's strange that my toes feel numb and have a little sharp pain... After we completed the tri, I sat down to change into flip flops. Pulled off my shoe and saw blood covering the bottom half of my sock. Thinking back, I remembered coming out of the water and stepping on something that hurt. I had a deep gash in one toe that had a flap of skin left. Another toe that had ripped off a chunk of skin...awesome. Dirty lake water that already has infected me! So off to the Walgreens care clinic (what a joke) to get a tetanus shot and 'glue' it shut (as opposed to stitches). After it's all said and done, I am happy with how the race went and annoyed I have a 'twice a day antibotic' to take to prevent whatever Lake Woodlands could have given me. Cheers Lake Woodlands...with water and a pill. :) See you next year...maybe.

4 comments:

Lacey said...

Oh Rachel...that sounds miserable!! You are a rockstar for even doing it. Congrats on putting another tri behind you. 10 for Texas is still a ways off so you can rest a few months before training for that! :)

Jessica Brame said...

you're funny! i think it's time to retire...heheha!

schandler said...

you are a TROOPER! I'm so proud of you for sticking it out!

Team Leslie said...

Poor thing. You are amazing for crossing the finish line...and fast too!!